MG Motors Australia has released official pricing for all three variants of it’s highly-anticipated electric MG4 hatchback, confirming that it will be the lowest price new electric vehicle on Australian roads.
The Excite version of the MG4 will be priced at $44,990, plus on road costs, meaning that it now beats the BYD Atto 3, which recently lifted its price. The Essence variant of the MG4, whose pricing was previously released in April, remains at $47,990 plus on roads.
The pricing for the three variants are:
- 64kWh Excite (450 km WLTP range) – $44,990 plus on-road costs
- 64kWh Essence (435 km WLTP range) – $47,990 plus on-road costs
- 77kWh Essence (530 km WLTP range) – $55,990 plus on-road costs
The 64kWh battery is also capable of recharging at up to 138kW, meaning a charge time of only 28 minutes from 10% – 80% using a 150kW DC rapid charger.
MG has already enjoyed success in Australia with the popular MG ZS EV, which was essentially an electric version of an existing fossil fuel car.
The MG4 EV is the first to use the new Modular Scalable Platform (MSP) that will underpin a new generation of MGs, featuring rear-wheel drive, 50:50 weight distribution and thin battery technology.
The MG4 EV also comes with a 7-year unlimited kilometre warranty as standard, which remains one of the longest fully-transferable warranties in the country.
The 64kWh and 77kWh Essence variants come with MG Pilot advanced driver assistance as standard with Blind Spot Detection, Lane Change Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Door Opening Warning.
MG’s iSMART system integrates car, internet, and user communication, now with voice activation and remote control features on Essence models.
The MG4 also comes with:
- Twin aero rear spoiler
- 17’’ aerodynamic alloy wheels with aero covers on 64kWh Excite
- 18” aerodynamic alloy wheels with aero covers on 64kWh Essence and 77kWh Essence
- All-new LED rear light design
- Essence models with black roof and distinctive rear centre light bar constellation design
- Six exterior colour options: Dover White, Brixton Blue, Black Pearl (Metallic), Camden Grey (Metallic), Dynamic Red (Tri-Coat) and Volcano Orange (Tri-Coat), Sterling Silver.
MG says the new MG4 will be available in Australia later this year.
Daniel Bleakley is a clean technology researcher and advocate with a background in engineering and business. He has a strong interest in electric vehicles, renewable energy, manufacturing and public policy.