The latest model – and first SUV – from Volvo’s electric-vehicle spin-off Polestar is due in Australia next year, priced from $132,900 plus on-road costs.
- 2024 Polestar 3 pricing and specifications
- Third model, first SUV from Volvo electric-car spin-off
- Dual motors, up to 610km claimed range at launch
- Priced from $132,900 plus on-road costs
The 2024 Polestar 3 large electric SUV is set to cost $132,900 plus on-road costs when it arrives in Australia between January and March next year.
Orders have now opened ahead of first deliveries between January and March 2024. The company – owned by Chinese car giant Geely – claims it has received close to 7000 expressions of interest over the past four months.
Polestar 3 vehicles for the first year will be available in two performance levels – the Long Range Dual Motor, which is available with a $9000 Performance Pack that boosts power – and a high level of specification with two optional packs included as standard equipment.
Powering the Long Range Dual Motor are two electric motors and a 107kWh (usable; or 111kWh gross) nickel-manganese-cobalt battery, for claimed outputs of 360kW and 840Nm.
Polestar says this model can do 0-100km/h in 5.0 seconds, reach a 210km/h top speed, and travel up to 610km on a charge, according to European WLTP testing.
Opting for the Performance Pack increases outputs to 380kW and 910Nm, and cuts the claimed 0-100km/h time to 4.7 seconds, but decreases the driving range to “up to 560km” on WLTP protocols.
Polestar claims its new SUV can charge from zero to 100 per cent on an 11kW three-phase AC socket in 11 hours, or complete a 10 to 80 per cent fast charge in 30 minutes, at up to 250kW DC.
Standard features on the highly-specified launch model include 21-inch wheels, textile or wool seat trim, LED headlights, adaptive air suspension, a torque-vectoring rear axle, 14.5-inch touchscreen, 9.0-inch driver display, glass roof, and a power tailgate.
Apple CarPlay connectivity will not be available at launch, however it is due to follow in wireless form as part of an over-the-air software update planned for the fourth quarter of 2024 (October to December).
Standard for the first model year are the Pilot and Plus option packages – though it’s likely these will revert to options from 2025 cars onwards, as per the Polestar 2 (which offers its own Pilot and Plus Packs).
Whereas Polestar’s first car for Australia launched with many advanced safety features as optional extras, the Polestar 3 is fitted with all of these key systems as standard equipment, including Pilot Assist semi-autonomous driving functionality for freeways.
Available as an option is the ‘Pilot Pack with lidar’, which adds more computing power, sensors and cameras to enable “enhanced 3D scanning of the car’s surroundings in greater detail,” and according to Polestar, “help prepare the car for autonomous driving.”
However, deliveries of cars with this package aren’t due to commence until the third quarter of 2024 (July to September).
Optioning the Performance Pack adds – alongside the increased performance – Polestar Engineered suspension tuning, 22-inch forged alloy wheels with Pirelli P Zero tyres, Swedish gold valve caps, seatbelts, laser-etched gold interior light line on the dashboard, and a “range optimisation” drive mode.
A range of standalone options are also available, including more advanced matrix LED headlights and nappa leather seat upholstery.
First deliveries of the 2024 Polestar 3 are due to commence in Australia in the first quarter of next year (January to March).
2024 Polestar 3 Australian pricing
- Polestar 3 Long Range Dual Motor – $132,900
- Polestar 3 Long Range Dual Motor with Performance Pack – $141,900
Note: All prices above exclude on-road costs.
2024 Polestar 3 Long Range Dual Motor standard features:
- Adaptive air suspension
- Dual-clutch torque-vectoring rear axle
- Four-piston front Brembo brake calipers in gold
- Adaptive LED headlights with dusk sensing, auto high beam
- LED tail-lights with auto dimming
- 14.5-inch infotainment touchscreen with Google apps built-in (including maps), over-the-air updates, digital radio, Bluetooth (but no Apple CarPlay at launch, due late 2024)
- 9.0-inch digital instrument display
- Panoramic glass roof with illuminated Polestar logo
- Hands-free power tailgate
- Wireless smartphone charger
- Four USB-C ports
- Power-adjustable front seats with heating, driver’s seat memory
- Black headlining
- Textile floor mats
- Tri-zone auto climate-control air conditioning
- Heat pump (uses battery heat to warm up the cabin)
- Rain-sensing windscreen wipers
- 60:40 split-folding rear seats with ski port
- Power-adjustable heated frameless side mirrors
- Auto-dimming side and centre rear-view mirrors
- Privacy glass
- Rear-view camera
- 360-degree surround-view camera
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Adaptive cruise control
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection
- Lane-keep assist
- Traffic sign recognition
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Tyre pressure monitoring
- Driver monitoring system
- “Up to” nine airbags (including dual front-centre airbags
Standard on all 2024 Polestar 3s is the Plus Pack, which includes:
- 25-speaker, 1610-watt Bowers and Wilkins premium audio system with Dolby Atmos
- 21-inch black diamond-cut alloy wheels with tyre repair kit
- Soft-close doors
- MicroTech textile or wool blend upholstery
- Power-adjustable steering column with memory
- Cabin air quality sensor
- “Repurposed” aluminium deco inlays
- Heated rear seats, steering wheel and windscreen wipers blades
- Infrared windscreen
- Upgraded rear cargo floor
Also standard on all 2024 Polestar 3s is the Pilot Pack, which includes:
- Pilot Assist semi-autonomous driving system for freeways (acceleration, braking and steering support up to 150km/h)
- Automatic parking
- Head-up display
2024 Polestar 3 Long Range Dual Motor with Performance Pack adds:
- Performance software upgrade (380kW/910Nm)
- Polestar Engineered suspension tuning
- 22-inch forged alloy wheels with Pirelli P Zero tyres (265/40 front and 295/35 rear)
- Swedish gold valve caps, seatbelts
- Laser-etched gold interior light line on the dashboard
- “Range optimisation” drive mode
Optional is the $6000 Pilot Pack with lidar, which adds
- Long-range lidar technology from Luminar
- Additional computer for assisted driving systems
- Three additional exterior cameras
- Four additional ultrasonic sensors
- Cleaning system for front and rear cameras
Standalone options include:
- 1.3-megapixel HD LED headlights ($3000)
- 22-inch forged alloy wheels ($3000, different to Performance Pack wheels)
- Nappa leather interior with ventilation, powered seat side supports and massage function for front seats, with Black Ash deco ($7500)
- Metallic paint ($2000)
- Non-tinted acoustic laminated glass (no cost option)
- Fully-electric folding tow bar ($2900)