Volvo’s sole S60 sedan variant receives a new name for the 2023 model year, with some new features – and a higher price.
- 2023 Volvo S60 pricing and specifications
- B5 Inscription name dropped for Ultimate B5 Bright
- Heated rear seats, Google infotainment added
- Priced from $65,990 plus on-road costs, up $3500
The 2023 Volvo S60 range has been revised with new features and a new name – and a 5 per cent price rise.
In line with the wider Volvo line-up, the S60 B5 Inscription – the sole variant available, after a cut last year from the three offered in 2021 – has been renamed to become the Ultimate B5 Bright, referencing its high standard equipment level and ‘bright’ chrome exterior trim.
Prices have risen by $3500, to $65,990 plus on-road costs – or about $72,500 drive-away, based on a metro Sydney postcode.
While not publicised at the time, it has now been revealed that the introduction of the mild-hybrid S60 B5 Inscription grade for Model Year 2022 last July saw production switch from the United States to China.
The S60 is now the third Volvo model sold in Australia that’s built in China, joining the related XC60 medium SUV (which is made in the same factory) and the smaller XC40 SUV. The XC90 large SUV and V60 Cross Country wagon continue to be sourced from Sweden.
Styling has been given a tweak for Model Year 2023, with a new rear bumper devoid of the 2022 car’s twin exhaust outlets, and a new design for the 19-inch wheels.
Inside, the S60 now runs Volvo’s latest Android Automotive-based infotainment software, with in-built Google Maps, Google Assistant, the Google Play Store, and Apple CarPlay (but no Android Auto, as that’s made redundant by the Google infotainment system).
Features now included as standard for Model Year 2023 include heated rear seats (previously not available at all, USB-C charging ports, new instrument cluster software, a cabin air purifier, support for a Volvo phone app and, according to third party Redbook, road noise cancellation.
Birch Light (a light gold colour), Pebble Grey and Pine Grey have been replaced by Silver Dawn (a light silver), Platinum Grey (a dark grey), and Bright Dusk (light gold). All paint colours are no-cost options.
Carry-over standard features include LED headlights, wireless phone charging, four-zone climate control, a power tailgate, leather-accented upholstery, heated electric front seats with memory, 10 speakers, a panoramic sunroof, and a suite of advanced safety features.
The options list is kept short, relative to other Volvo models: a 15-speaker Bowers and Wilkins sound system for $4200, 14-speaker Harman Kardon sound system for $1900, or perforated nappa leather upholstery with ventilated front seats, for $3150.
A full list of standard features, optional extras and exterior colours on offer is included at the bottom of this story.
The Volvo S60 Ultimate B5 Bright carries over the revised engine and transmission introduced last year: a 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine developing 183kW and 350Nm, with an eight-speed automatic and all-wheel drive.
It’s backed by a 48-volt mild-hybrid system, with an ‘integrated starter-generator’ – in place of the car’s traditional starter motor – and a small battery to reduce load on the engine to save fuel, improve performance, and restart the engine faster than a normal start-stop system.
Volvo quotes a 0-100km/h time of 6.5 seconds, and claimed fuel consumption of 7.2 litres per 100km in a mix of city and highway driving (from a 60L fuel tank). Braked towing capacity is rated at 1800kg.
The 2023 Volvo S60 is en route to Australian showrooms now.
2023 Volvo S60 Australian pricing:
- S60 Ultimate B5 Bright – $65,990 (up $3500 vs B5 Inscription)
Note: All prices exclude on-road costs.
2023 Volvo S60 Ultimate B5 Bright standard features include:
- 19-inch alloy wheels (with space-saver spare wheel)
- LED headlights with cornering functionality
- LED fog lights
- 9.0-inch infotainment touchscreen with Apple CarPlay, Google integration (new software, including Google Maps) and digital radio
- 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster
- Wireless smartphone charging
- Four-zone climate control
- Revised bumper and wheel designs (new)
- Heated rear seats (new)
- Active noise cancellation (new)
- USB-C charge ports (new)
- Cabin air purifier (new)
- Hands-free power tailgate
- 360-degree camera
- Panoramic sunroof
- Head-up display
- 10-speaker sound system
- Power-adjustable heated front seat with memory, four-way electric lumbar
- Leather-accented black upholstery
- Crystal gear selector
- Heated ‘leather-look’ steering wheel
- Fixed rear headrests
- Auto-dimming centre and side mirrors
- Illuminated vanity mirrors
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Seven airbags (including driver’s knee)
- Adaptive cruise control
- Autonomous emergency braking (forward and reverse)
- Lane-keep assist
- Pilot Assist semi-autonomous driving tech (lane centring)
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Traffic sign recognition
- Front, side and rear parking sensors
- Bowers and Wilkins sound system ($4200)
- Harman Kardon sound system ($1900)
- Perforated nappa leather upholstery with ventilated front seats ($3150)
Available colours include (all are no-cost options):
- Onyx Black
- Crystal White Pearl
- Denim Blue
- Fusion Red
- Thunder Grey
- Platinum Grey (new)
- Silver Dawn (new)
- Bright Dusk (new)